English is a strange language because “smart” has four different meanings.
It can mean a person is clever and quick in thought or action. For example, Mpho is really smart – she passed all her exams.
It could also mean that a person is well-dressed. For example, Mpho looked really smart in her new outfit.
Another meaning is to feel a sharp, stinging pain. For example, Mpho’s arm smarted for ages after the wasp stung her.
Lastly, it can mean that you feel annoyed or resentful after being insulted. For example, Mpho smarted for the whole of break time after Sandile said she was fat.
We are talking about the first one… here are some ways to help make us smarter.
- Ask questions. It really is good to ask if we don’t know or understand something.
- Get some exercise. This is a no-brainer – we know we feel better when we get out into the fresh air and start moving. Cycle, jog, walk briskly, hula hoop…
- Eat healthy. Crunch apples and carrots instead of chips or sweets for snacks.
- Keep a journal. It’s good to sit at the end of the day and reflect on all that has happened. It makes your memory work a bit harder too.
- Learn a new skill. It does not have to be anything fancy – learn to knit, to code, or maybe how to bake – go nuts and try something new. Nothing ventured nothing gained!
- Hang out with other smart people. This is so true – if we spend time with people who are interesting and interested – we feel smarter too.
- Challenge your brain. Do crossword puzzles or Sudoku’s. Play memory games.
- Change your routine. Try not to do things the same old boring way every single day – vary the order in which you do things, or eat lunch outside instead of inside. Sit in a different spot at school break. As the saying goes… a change is as good as a holiday.
- Get enough sleep. Do it! Go to sleep at a decent hour our bodies need time to recover from a busy day.
- Read more. Join a library or swap books with friends. There are also plenty of eBooks free on the internet that are available to read on cell phones too.
Think smart peeps!