How many people save? And for once I am not talking about saving water or electricity – I’m talking about saving money – although of course when you save electricity – you also save money too!
Somehow we never seem to have enough money to do all the things that we want to do.
So I did some sleuthing on the internet and found some ways that a person can save money.
- Write a list before you go shopping and stick to it.
- If you really want to buy something – wait a few days – like 30! Half the time you will decide you don’t actually need it after all.
- Invite friends over instead of going out. Get your friends to bring plates of food too.
- Make your own presents instead of buying them.
- Clean out your cupboards. Don’t just toss the stuff you don’t want – have a garage sale or sell big items on-line.
- Drink more water – not only is this better for you than drinking cool drinks, but you can refill your bottle from the tap and keep it in the fridge.
- Stop smoking. Put the money that you would have spent on cigarettes in a jar for a month and then buy yourself a present – you’ll be shattered at just how much it is.
- Swop books, games and DVD’s with your friends instead of buying new ones.
- Don’t carry your credit card around with you – leave it at home for emergencies. That way you won’t be tempted to buy something that you cannot afford.
- Pack your own sandwiches instead of grabbing something from the shop at lunch time.
- Eat a good breakfast – this will mean that you don’t spend money on unhealthy snacks during the day.
- Keep an “ideas notebook” in your pocket or bag – jot down any good ideas that you get and then you won’t forget them.
- Check out free events in the newspaper.
- Grow your own veggies – or at least some of them.
- Carpool – not only is this great for the environment – it’s a real money saver too.
- Join the library. It’s free and there are plenty of books to read that you can borrow instead of buying. Plus they often have interesting events as well.
- Don’t speed. You’ll save petrol and won’t run the risk of getting speeding fines!
Let’s start saving.