Did you know that there are fourteen titles published in the Sibo Series? Every month we make one of those books free to read on the website. Except for Sibo Looks Right, our road safety book, that’s always freely available.
These books are all about empowering kids with knowledge. They’re in rhyme (we call it wacky rhyme) are fun to read, with interesting facts and information sneakily woven into the storyline.
I know a person is not supposed to brag about their own stuff, ahem, but these books are best-sellers because many of the titles have sold more than 2000 copies. One of them (Sibo on the Move) also won awards. How cool is that!
Yes, yes Sibo, I hear you say, why are you bothering us with all this chitter-chatter about your books?
Let me explain. The way we publish our books is a little different.
Ginny comes up with an idea for a topic and finds funding for that particular book so that it can be distributed freely to kids, schools and libraries. (Many children in South Africa do not own a single book and we want to help change this.)
To date, organisations like Gautrain, Department of Science and Technology, Department of Health, University of Pretoria Centre for Sustainable Malaria Control, Department of Arts and Culture, Nash Nissan, South African Agency for Science and Technology Advancement, BASF, the chemical company, Super Group as well as some private individuals have sponsored titles in the Sibo Series.
Topics covered are the following (in order of date they were published):
- Global warming – Sibo Makes a Difference
- Growing your own veggies – Sibo and the Veggie Bed
- Saving Water – Sibo Saves Water
- The sea and sustainable resources – Sibo and the Sea
- Space – Sibo in Space
- 3 R’s (recycling, reusing, reducing) – Sibo Tackles Trash
- HIV AIDS – Sibo Thinks Positively
- Nanotechnology – Sibo Sizes Things Up
- Biodiversity – Sibo Likes Life
- Chemistry – Sibo Mixes Things Up
- Animals – Sibo Saves a Stray
- Malaria – Sibo Fights Malaria
- Road safety – Sibo Looks Right
- Etiquette using public transport – Sibo on the Move
We still want to write on subjects like bullying, careers, immunology, maths, engineering, mental disorders, saving money and planning.
If any organisation out there would like to invest in Sibo and help us empower children, please contact Ginny (ginz.stone[at]gmail.com). Of course, you could have a book on your own topic too.
It’s also a great advertising opportunity.